Over years of designing websites for small businesses and individuals, I have noticed that many people struggle to produce quality content for their website. This is not because they don’t have a quality product or service, but rather because that don’t know how to produce quality written content – it just doesn’t come naturally to most people.
Producing quality content for your site can be a daunting task, so I have outlined below some points which can help:
- Your business is unique, and your content should reflect that. By all means have a look at what your competitors are doing, but please don’t copy and paste their content! If you already have other marketing material such as brochures or annual reports, draw your information from those sources.
- Have a clear idea of your website purpose and target market. Your content should be written with these two factors in mind.
- Valuable content. Your content should offer some value to the reader. As in point 2, your content should contain information about how your product and/or service can help the reader. Does it solve a problem? What’s in it for them?
- Be clear and precise. Try to avoid unnecessary jargon and technical terms (unless you are addressing a niche market who will understand). Keep your paragraphs short, use bullet points if appropriate.
- Use other media to help convey your message. Your content doesn’t have to be all about text. A video or photos may be appropriate for articulating your message.
- Include a call to action. Encourage the reader to take the next step – which can be contacting you, downloading an ebook, sign-up to your newsletter or request a quote.
- Proofread – check for spelling mistakes, grammar etc. Remember you want to convey a professional image. Read and re-read your content, tweaking where necessary.
Following the 7 points above will help you improve the content of your website. These points apply whether you are preparing content for a brand new website or looking at refreshing the content on an existing site.
If you are completely overwhelmed by the prospect of creating the content for your website, there are a number of excellent copywriters in the area we can recommend.
If you would like any more information about the above or would simply like to have a chat please contact us.